Green tea as we all know/heard or read about is a tea used for rejuvenating the skin, for weight loss, for treating acne, for hair growth and other uses.
It contains catechin called EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate).
So basically, I will be reviewing/talking about my personal tea product and routine and I hope you find this helpful.
Green tea benefits
- Green tea is believed to have the capability of reducing the risks of cancer, mainly by it’s highly significant antioxidant properties.
- It is known to contain vitamin C which prevents scurvy.
- The tea is said to prevent tooth decay and kill bacteria associated with gum disease. It is believed to have the capability of reducing weight.
- It is said to prevent the aging process and gives you a more younger skin and refresh the body.
- It is believed to lower cholesterol and cut the risk of stroke in men (American Medical Association).
- It is also said to prevent High Blood Pressure.
- It is effective and great for weight loss.
- It is great for flat tummy (of course it doesn’t happen in a flash)
Here is 10 evidenced-based benefits of green tea from Healthline:
Side effects/disadvantages of green tea
So far, there has been no side effects or disadvantages of this tea, not that I have heard of though, unless when taken in excess.
When taken in excess, this tea is said to cause diarrhea and causes lack of sleep because of its caffeine content. But still not everyone is allowed to drink this tea.
Nursing mothers shouldn’t consume a lot of caffeine because the caffeine can be passed to the suckling baby which can affect the baby negatively, therefore nursing mothers who take this tea. should do so with moderately or not take at all.
People who are allergic to caffeine is not also in the right condition to take green tea. Lastly, it’s not advisable for you to take green tea as a morning routine on work days because of its caffeine.
How to prepare green tea
- In a pot: add boiled water in the tea pot and allow to cool, put in one teabag for a person and let it sit in the water for 3-4 minutes before serving.
- In a cup: repeat the same process as when preparing in a pot.
- Green tea can be sweet, bitter or astringent depending on the temperature of the water used in preparing it.
- For sweet tea, your water at 80C, for astringent taste, use water at 60C and for bitter tea, use a very hot water.
- Add a teaspoon of honey for each tea cup (optional) tea with honey is a very good combination, not just because of its sweetness but because honey has its own properties and health benefits, the honey in it aids the tea in flattening the stomach. You can check for properties of honey and choose to add it to your favorite cup of tea.
Best time to drink green tea
For me, I will say the tea doesn’t have a ‘best time’ for you to drink it, you just have to find out what’s time is best and works for you, the things you should have in mind before consuming this tea are:
- be aware that it contains caffeine
- it’s not totally good for nursing mothers
- and for those allergic to caffeine
I will just tell you when I drink mine and you can choose to follow my routine,
- I drink my green tea in the morning some minutes after breakfast and at night before dinner, sometimes, I just take it in the morning for the whole day without drinking at night.
- You just have to find out what works for you and also the reason why you are drinking this tea, if it’s for a serious weight loss or health issue, then you have to take at least 3 cups of tea a day. You can also discuss with your doctor about this to get medical advise.
What should I eat with green tea?
Originally, this tea is not meant to be eaten with something but some people basically cannot drink this tea without eating something with it, this could be because they have to eat something to take away the bitter taste or astringent taste or for it to serve as brealfast.
But whichever your reason might be, your the tea should be taken with nothing or if it’s necessary, you can drink your tea with just biscuit.
Green tea brands
I have compiled a list of the best green tea brands for you to pick from and my brand is number 3:
- Harney & sons green tea
- Jade leaf matcha green tea powder
- Qualitea green tea
- Lipton green tea
- Twinings of London
- Matcha certified organic tea powder
Which green tea is tasty?
Sweetheart, all green tea are tasty, you just have to find your favorite brands and prepare it the right way.
What happens if I drink green tea everyday?
Drinking tea everyday is actually good but it depends on your reasons for taking it, if you take it for health conditions that requires you taking it everyday, then it’s fine but if you take it just for skin rejuvenation and flat tummy, it’s best not to take it everyday.
Drinking green tea everyday can cause side effects such as constipation, stomach upset and insomnia because of its caffeine content.