And who doesn’t like independent women? No man wants a burden, and trust me, you don’t want to be that burden. There are lots of skills to learn and thankfully, those skills stays with you forever and you can use them wherever you are and in whatever condition you find yourself.
There’s nothing disgraceful in learning a skill as a mom/young woman, and having a job doesn’t mean you don’t need a skill.
Skills are important when:
- You loose your job.
- You are a “stay at home” mom.
- You feel you need to earn extra.
- You need to support your man.
It doesn’t have to be just to support your husband, a woman should be independent to earn respect from the male folks.
Your respect as a woman is something you should never loose.
Don’t just stay at home as a full time housewife, learn profitable skills to earn and support the man. Men appreciate wives who supports them in every way, he might not admit it or encourage you to get a job doing but he will be happier and appreciate you more if you support him with the bills.
3 tips to finding what skills to learn
- Something you find interesting
- What you’re passionate about
- What you are curious about
These are questions you should ask yourself if you don’t know what skills to learn, this will help you in finding something you won’t get tired of and you being passionate about your skill will drive your interest towards it.
Things to look out for before going to deciding what skills to learn
I want to use myself as a case study and you can relate to it better that way.
- If I decide to learn makeup, first, I will go about my neighborhood, looking for good makeup artist or better still, ask people around how good that makeup artist is, if I don’t get a satisfactory answer, I will look outside my neighborhood because I don’t want to spend my time and money for something that’s not worth it. If I don’t learn from a good makeup artist, how will I be good myself?
- Next I will compare the prices these makeup artists charge to know which one I can afford but the price won’t stop me from going to a good makeup artist, after all, I will be sure I’m not going to waste my money that way, if the price of the makeup artist I chose is more than I can afford, I will try negotiating with the artist to know if I can pay in installments, most people do that.
- Another thing for me to consider is the distance between my house and the makeup school location, can I afford the transport cost?
And if I can’t afford to spend so much on transport everyday in the week, that means I won’t be going to learn my skills everyday, I just have to pick some days in the week that I can spare money for the transport cost.
- Another thing is my job, if I already have a job, how do I fix in the time between my job and my skill acquisition to be convenient?
The questions I have to put into consideration are:
- What time do I close from work?
- How many days in a week do I go to work?
Having answers to these questions will help me decide how to fix in the skill and my job.
- And lastly, if you’re a mother you must have kids of course, the questions to ask yourself are:
How do I pick up the kids from school and prepare dinner early for the family? You already know when your kids will be closed from school, all you need to do is to negotiate with your skill trainer to give you a break to pick your kids from school and make sure they are okay before returning to work.
You can decide to prepare dinner before going out in the morning, then you just have to microwave when everyone is back home, doing this will save you the stress of preparing dinner when you are back.
If you are a mother, there are certain things you have to put in consideration before deciding to use extra time of work.
There will always be a way to find solution to whatever challenges discouraging you to learn a skill.
15 profitable skills to learn as a stay-at-home mom
- Catering: there are different categories under catering such as, baking, cooking, how to dress and serve food etc. You just need to pick your interest. Learning this can give you opportunities to start your own catering business from home, if you don’t have an oven, there’s a way to use stove, pot, sand or stone to make a local oven and this will serve you for a long time until you can afford a small oven. Without a shop, you can supply to those who might be interested and attach a percentage to it. There are other ways to let people know what business you’re doing even without a store.
- Tailoring/ fashion designing: it doesn’t have to be just female clothing, there are lots of profit in the male and kids section, do you know you can also start showing from home? Yes you can, I’ve seen a lot of women doing that and they are doing well.
- Makeup: makeup could be the usual makeup or the advanced makeup for Halloween or movies, makeup is gradually taking up the world so finding your space in it will rocket you to high places, all you need to do is to be creative.
- Bead making: bead making is another lucrative and budget- friendly business to start from home, beads are mostly needed in traditional occasions in the African part of the world, it varies from bead necklace to bags, bangles and earrings.
- Decorations or event planning: this is a highly lucrative business, if you are good in doing this, it gives you opportunities to go around the world for business deals and meet influential people.
- Hairdresser/ hair stylist: as common as it is, it is a no-ending business, you are never out of business of you’re a hair stylist or hairdresser, you can be the chief hairstylist in weddings, movie production, home services and so much more and believe me when I say you will never be out of business.
- Knitting: knitting has been in existence for years now and it’s still trending up till now, knitting is an easier and faster skill to learn and it’s more convenient for a full-time mom.
- Computer operator/ user: there are different sections of it, graphic designer, web designer, typist etc all you have to do is pick your interest and begin but this will not be easy to set up after learning if you are on a budget, so you can go for this if you are sure you can afford to set up your own cyber center after learning.
- Manicure and pedicure: this too isn’t pocket friendly to set up, but if you’re able to set up, then you are on your way to making huge profits from it, additionally, breastfeeding moms and mothers who still have kids that can’t take care of themselves yet can’t go for this because you won’t have time for your kids.
- Dry cleaning: you just need a washing machine and knowledge of ironing clothes and packaging them neatly to look pleasant to the eyes, while this is less time consuming and easy to run from home, you have to spend more on electricity, packages and water but it won’t break your bank.
- Producing deodorants, soap or toiletries: this is very common among women, and it’s lucrative also, the only challenges you will have is having your own buyers because people will be biased since it’s not a company or branded products but once you are able to convince people that your products are good, you are sure into business.
- Vlogging: if you don’t want to learn any skill but still want to earn extra, starting a YouTube channel and posting videos of your home and other activities you do will bring you that cash but not immediately in some cases, it takes time and patience to own a YouTube channel.
- Freelance: if you are good at grammar and typo errors, you can find a job as a freelancer. This is the easiest, all you have to do is search for companies looking for freelancers and get a good pay.
- Music production: music is taking all over the world now, learning music production, mixing and mastering or video production can fetch you a good profit.
- Distributor: there are companies looking for distributors, you can find one and get busy, it’s an easy work from home job for moms.
You don’t have to be a burden to anyone, earn for yourself at least and take care of yourself, so you don’t have to ask for money each time you need money to buy things for yourself and kids.
While you are at it, here are 10 rich mom lifestyle blogs to follow, to get parenting tips, pregnancy tips, travel ideas, recipes and many more.