Applying foundation can help even out the skin tone on your face. You can hide blemishes, dark spots, or redness by using foundation to create naturally even-looking skin. Makeup sponges are a popular makeup tool since they are easy to use with different types of foundation, and each makeup sponges comes with different purposes so be sure to get a good one for your foundation. Using makeup sponges is an easy technique, and with a little practice, you’ll start using them in your regular makeup routine! And in this post, I’m going to show you how to apply your foundation flawlessly.
How to apply liquid foundation smoothly with a sponge
So it’s time for your makeup again and remembering how your last foundation application went, you feel down, “oh no! How I’m I going to apply this foundation to get a flawless look” sounds familiar right? Yeah I know, applying foundation requires some tricks and techniques which I’ll be sharing with you here, so just keep on reading.
The most important factor in getting a flawless foundation application is a clear and smooth skin, it’s important to ensure that your face is clean and always exfoliated, I’m not saying exfoliate your skin each time you want to apply foundation but I’m saying “to get a clear skin and flawless foundation application, exfoliate your face regularly”. Keeping this in mind, let’s get into the application process.
How to apply foundation
- The first thing to do is wash your face with a facial cleanser and wash out with warm water, using cold water or hot water can cause irritation or damages so it’s best to use warm water, right after that, dry out with a soft towel.
- Next, apply moisturizer. Let’s get one thing straight, moisturizers are not only for dry skin, it’s also good for hydrating oily skin, I know it sounds crazy applying oil on an already oiled face but getting an oil-free moisturizer will do well for an oily skin. Moisturizers is a must-have in your beauty collections.
- Apply primer, dry skins also need primer to hold on to your foundation. Apply the foundation on your t-zone area, on your chin and cheeks, apply in a circular motion and allow for about 5 minutes to dry before applying foundation.
- Pour a little size of foundation on the back of your palm, it’s risky to apply your foundation directly from the bottle, doing this may cause you to apply excess foundation on your face, it’s advisable to pour the foundation on the back of your palm and apply with a beauty sponge and keep pouring the foundation little by little on the back of your palm until you finish applying.
- Soak your sponge in water and squeeze out the excess water in the sponge, you only need a damp sponge to apply foundation, this won’t soak up excess foundation and you can gradually build up the foundation on your face. Use an egg-shaped sponge in applying foundation, it’s the best for applying foundation.
Where to apply liquid foundation
Like I said earlier, there are techniques in applying foundation so you don’t get it all messy.
- Use the biggest part of the sponge to collect a little amount of foundation and start applying on just one part of the face, when you’re sure to have properly covered one part of your face, switch to the other part of your face, apply the foundation properly before moving to another part of your face. The best way to apply foundation is starting and finishing on one part of your face before moving to another part, do this to avoid patches on your face.
- If you’re using the egg-shaped sponge, use the pointed edge to apply foundation on the nose and eye area, this is to avoid foundation getting into your brows and eye makeup if you already have them on.
- Apply foundation on your forehead if you haven’t already.
- Apply on your ears so your ears are the same color with your face, next, apply on your neck if you’re going to wear a cloth that exposes your neck. It’s always good if your neck is matches with your face. 😉
- Allow your foundation to sit for some time before setting your face.
- Always wash your beauty sponges after use.