Choosing the right shade of foundation can be tricky most times that you end up picking the wrong color, this causes your makeup to look so light, dark and inappropriate. In this guide, you will be getting a proper guidance on how to pick the right shade of foundation that will cause your makeup to look natural i.e make your foundation appear exactly like your skin color.
Knowing your skin type and undertone are very important factor in choosing the right shade of foundation.
The common skin types are dry, oily and combination skin.
How to choose the right shade of foundation for your skin type
- Dry skin: if you have a dry skin, you should choose a hydrating or cream foundation.
- Oily skin: choose a matte and oil-free foundation.
- Combination skin: choosing a powder foundation will be best.
- Additionally, choose a scent-free and non-organic foundation if you have a sensitive skin.
Understanding your skin undertone
Skin undertone refers to the color underneath your skin that reflects on the surface of your skin.
There are basically 3 colors of skin undertone and you can find out what skin tone you have by following these steps:
- The veins in your wrist.
- Exposure to sunlight
Determining your skin undertone through your veins
The best way to find out what skin undertone you have is to look at your wrist and observe properly the colors of veins you see. Below are the colors of veins for each skin undertone:
- Warm skin undertone: green or olive veins.
- Neutral skin undertone: if you can’t figure out what colors of vein you have because it’s the same color with your skin, then you have a neutral skin undertone.
- Cool skin undertone: blue or purple veins.
Determining your skin undertone through your jewelries
- Warm skin undertone: gold jewelries look better on a warm skin undertone.
- Neutral skin undertone: if gold and silver jewelries look good on you, you have a neutral skin undertone.
- Cool skin undertone: silver jewelries looks better on a cool skin undertone.
Determining your skin undertone under the sun
- Warm skin undertone: you easily get sunburn under the sun.
- Neutral skin undertone: your skin turns reddish under the sun.
- Cool skin undertone: nothing happens to your skin under the sun.
How to choose the right shade of foundation according to your skin undertone
- Warm skin undertone: the best shades of foundation for warm skin tones are Chestnut, Golden, Tan, Caramel and Beige.
- Neutral skin undertone: the best shades of foundation for neutral skin tones are Ivory, Buff and Nude.
- Cool skin undertone: the best shades of foundation for neutral skin tones are Cocoa, Rose and Sable.
How to pick foundation color in drugstore products
Using drugstore beauty products can be really discouraging because of it poor pigments and quality Nevertheless, there are still good drugstore beauty products out there that are really affordable.
The best way to pick drugstore foundations is to be familiar with the brand in that way you’re sure to get a good foundation.
You can pick the right shade of drugstore foundations by applying a little quantity on your jawline or forehead, if the foundation blends in with your skin tone, then it’s the right foundation color for you, this is also a general rule of thumb in choosing the right shade of foundation for every foundation type.
How to match foundation to your skin tone
- To darken foundation that’s too light, try mixing the foundation with a cocoa or Chestnut shade of foundation depending on how dark you want it to be.
- To lighten a foundation that’s too dark, try mixing it with Beige or Caramel shades of foundation, just use a foundation that’s lighter than the original.